Photographs I've gleaned from flea markets, junk shops and sometimes ebay. The cheaper the better. Anything with a story that can be extracted from hand written notes, location research, local histories, census records......anything. A small band of fellow enthusiasts worldwide have helped me with many of these. Of course there are always mysteries that defy research, but there's even a story inside these. All images can be viewed at super-size on Flickr.

Tuesday 27 December 2011

Christmas 1948. Tea and cake.

Christmas 1948. Tea and cake.

Two cakes! That was a luxury in England during those rationing years. I find this image quite endearing. Maybe it's those rose-tinted retrospective spectacles. I showed this one to my parents and it  had quite the opposite effect on them. It reminded them of hard times in the 1940s when they were children growing up in bombed-out industrial cities. No romance in it for them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment